Placement: Junior Year, Fall Semester
Prerequisites:Nursing 140, Nursing 250-251
Corequisites: Nursing 352, Nursing 360
Credits: 3 hours lecture, 2.5 clinical laboratory (15 hours every other week)
Faculty:Dr. Margarete Zalon, RN, CS and Dr. Mary Jane K. DiMattio, RN
1. Utilize personal and professional values and beliefs in nursing practice within culturally diverse settings.
2. Discuss specific psychophysiological alterations and adaptations that occur in response to health pattern changes.
3. Explain the pathophysiology related to alterations in oxygenation, perfusion, metabolism and surgery that have an effect on adaptation.
4. Develop critical thinking in the use of the nursing process in caring for individuals experiencing alterations in oxygenation, perfusion and metabolism, or surgery within the health pattern framework.
5. Use therapeutic communication in interactions with clients, family and health care providers.
6. Analyze the components of the illness experience and the adaptation of the client.
7. Implement the role of the nurse as caregiver, advocate, teacher and member of the health care team in assisting individuals and families in the promotion and restoration of health in a variety of settings.
8. Describe the nursing implications for diagnostic and therapeutic measures.
9. Demonstrate responsibility and competency in the performance of assessment and therapeutic nursing interventions for adults.
10. Identify research findings and outcomes applicable to the provision of professional nursing care.
11. Demonstrate responsibility and accountability within the scope of nursing practice when rendering nursing care.
12. Develop beginning leadership skills in the provision of professional nursing care to adults.
Laboratory Study Guide
Parenteral Medication Laboratory Study Guide
Intravenous Therapy Laboratory Study Guide
Perioperative Clinical Preparation
OR Day Assignment (print and bring with you to complete while you are in the OR)
Optional Study Guides: The following study guides have been developed to assist you with learning the course content:
Nursing Care Study Guide
Postoperative Nursing Care Study Guide
Pain Management Study Guide
Community-Acquired Pneumonia in the Elderly Case Study
Respiratory Nursing Care Study Guide
Nursing Care of the Patient with Hypertension Study Guide
Nursing Care of the Patient with Peripheral Vascular Disease Study Guide
Cardiovascular Nursing Care Study Guide
Nursing Care of the Patient with Heart Failure Study Guide
The following quizzes are available for practice. At the bottom of the quiz, you can submit your answers for scoring. Your answers are not sent to Dr. Zalon. If your answers are incorrect, just answer those questions again to find out the correct answers.
Nursing Care Quiz
Postoperative Nursing Care Quiz
Pain Management for Postoperative Patients Quiz
Respiratory Nursing Care Quiz (focuses on asthma)
Respiratory Nursing Care Quiz (focuses on COPD)
Nursing Care of the Patient with Coronary Artery Disease Quiz
Nursing Care of the Patient with Hypertension Quiz
Nursing Care of the Patient with Peripheral Vascular Disease Quiz
Nursing Care of the Patient with Heart Failure Quiz
Back to University of Scranton Homepage